“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Friday, August 27, 2010

Stinky Cheese

     I am about to share one of my flaws with you all. So I'm trusting that you will still be my friend after you read this. If you think your view of me might change- then visit another blog. :) One of the things I have struggled with since I was in elementary school was cleaning out my lunch box. I'd leave sandwiches, empty jello containers, spoons with peanut butter on them, a banana peel, you name it- I'm sure I left it in there at sometime or another for a good while. The worst was when I'd take tomato soup- inevitably I'd always leave it in there for a week or so. I'm sure your stomachs are churning at this thought... espically if you are Robin Gaddis- the wonderful lady who gave birth to me and is my mother. Because- not always- but most times- she was the one that cleaned out the moldy, smelly nastiness. Forgive me, momma!
     My old habit has struck again. As I am sitting and typing this blog right now there is a cute pink lunchbox sitting on the stairs right now. And it is holding one of my new favorites foods! Brie cheese and a block of sharp cheddar cheese. This would not be bad if it was ready for me to go to work this afternoon- nope, it's not. It has actually been sitting there for probably a week. I know, I know- nasty. And I'm still dreading going in there and opening it up. I'm sure my stomach is going to turn when I open it. But today is the day. I will conquer the pink lunchbox and stinky cheese.
     So I was thinking about this situation this morning, (of course only thinking- not acting upon it), and the Holy Spirit quickened me and whispered a truth inside of me. He said- do you have some stinky cheese in you that you're avoiding because you know that it isn't going to be the prettiest? Do you have some sin, a situation, a relationship, a wounded heart that you aren't willing to open up and clean up the mess inside? I do this often. I know that there is something that I have got to get settled with the Lord but I keep ignoring it- and the longer I ignore it the worst it gets. You know if I would have came home the day I packed that lunch and put the cheese back in the refrigerator and cleaned out everything else in my lunch box it would have never gotten moldy or smelly. The same way with things I deal internally with. If I would go straight to the Lord and admit that I am struggling then it would never have time to get smelly and nasty. But weeks, months, years pass and we ignore the things that are dragging us down. We think about them from time to time and just pass on that we'll get to them another time.
     So what is it in our lives that we're ignoring? That we're not letting the Savior clean out? Something that is just sitting in our lunchbox? Do you think it's time to clean it out?

     He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” Revelation 21:5


     He came to make all things new- He came to renew you- to give you joy and peace. Time to clean it out the wounds. Yes, it may stink. Yes, it may have grown to something you never thought it'd grow into- but better to stop it now then let it get even bigger. 


     What's your stinky cheese? What's your advice? 


Yes mom, I'm going to clean it out now. 


<3, B

No comments: