“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Elisabeth Elliot

Elisabeth Elliot seriously is one of the most amazing women ever! She has wisdom like crazy.. I was just reading some of her quotes and thought I'd share.. And my thoughts are in parenthesis! :)


Holiness has never been the driving force of the majority. It is, however, mandatory for anyone who wants to enter the kingdom.

(How often do we shrink back from pursuing holiness? How often do I settle for just getting by? What a shame, because we are called to holiness. And if we are called to it, then I think it is achievable.)

George Macdonald said, 'If you knew what God knows about death you would clap your listless hands', but instead I find old people in North America just buying this whole youth obsession. I think growing older is a wonderful privilege. I want to learn to glorify God in every stage of my life. 



( =) What a blessing to glorify God in every stage, aspect, thought, everything... amazing, huh?)


Work is a blessing. [YES! A BLESSING!] God has so arranged the world that work is necessary, and He gives us hands and strength to do it. The enjoyment of leisure would be nothing if we had only leisure. It is the joy of work well done that enables us to enjoy rest, just as it is the experiences of hunger and thirst that make food and drink such pleasures. - Discipline: The Glad Surrender 


(This one got me where it hurts. I should treasure work....)



We must quit bending the Word to suit our situation. It is we who must be bent to that Word, our necks that must bow under the yoke.



(This is another one that gets me. Adjusting- twisting the Word. I want to take the word for what it is.. and dive into it.)


Where does your security lie? Is God your refuge, your hiding place, your stronghold, your shepherd, your counselor, your friend, your redeemer, your saviour, your guide? If He is, you don't need to search any further for security.


(AHHHHH-mazing. I should totally stop searching for another form of security.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, she is one of my many inspirations and mentors. Have we talked about Passion and Purity? You should definitely read it if you haven't. Even beyond relationships, she shares so much wisdom in that book! Love this post. Love you!!!!