“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Friday, October 8, 2010

Meet my Parents.

     I am a proud daughter. Yep, daughter. I have two of the most amazing parents. They are such an example to me and I am extremely blessed. Just look at how cute my parents are, I love them! Let me introduce them to you. Dad. Meet Billy Joe Gaddis, where I get my grin from and my cheesy jokes.
Still in Love too!
He is the best equipment operator in Owensboro and can make anyone laugh. He is so incredibly in love with my mother. He is the head of our household and the head encourager. Constantly talking about his 3 beauty queens... (mom, chels, and me) and his handsome son. He loves getting his back scratched and we are thankful for tv ears, because he's hard of hearing. He has the heart the size of Texas and will do anything to help anyone. That's my Dad! :) Meet mom. Robin Gaddis. One of the best Helix hair designers in Owensboro, and possibly the world. She is discerning and is completely obedient to the word of the Lord. She loves being outside with a good novel. She loves the beach and loves staying up late talking to me! :) I love my mom! They are such an encouragement to me. 
       This all comes about because I am doing a study called, "Secrets: Transforming your Life and Marriage". Yes, I am fully aware that I am not married, but I will be prepared on the glorious day that the Lord speaks to my husband and confirms that I am the one for him. As I go through this study, I have realized what a great marriage I have grown up under. And I wanted to share with the world the things I have learned from mom and dad. 

Marriage with Billy Joe and Robin:
1. God first, always, always, always. 
2. Spouse second. Not Brennen, Trae, or Chelsea. But spouse. My dad and I are a lot alike on how we receive love from mom. We like to spend time with her, and on numerous occasions Mom tells me that she has to spend time with dad and that later she will spend time with me. No fun at the moment, but I appreciate it now.
3. Never, ever say divorce. This has brought so much peace into our home. I never have to worry if mom and dad will split up. It's not talked about. 
4. We don't yell. Dad made the pact with mom before they got married that they would never yell at each other. And I've never heard them yell. Once again, peace. 
5. Respect. I hardly ever witness my parents responding to one another with eyes rolling, hateful tones, or mean words. 
6. They always agree with one another... even if they disagree. They wait to talk about it until later. I know that if mom says something that dad stands behind it, and vis versa. 
7. Dad still opens the door for her. Sorry boys, it's just something that women appreciate.
8. Dad always tells mom how pretty she is. Mom always tells dad how much she respects and appreciates his hard work. 
9. Mom is not dad's maid. It works out well. 
10. They make time for one another. Even if it's just a few minutes of mom scratching dad's head. 
11. Mom or dad never sleep on the couch because of an argument. They settle it before they go to bed.
12.  Laughter. That simple. They laugh together. 
13. They dance... not always... but most the time after a movie when the credits are rolling... they dance. 
14. Trust. They trust one another. 
15. They hug and they kiss.... in front of us. We pretend like we don't like it, but it reassures us that they love each other. 


     Mom and Dad would be the first to tell you that their marraige is not perfect.... but I say they have something good going on. I am so excited to see where God takes them in their marriage and to see what else God has for them. I pray blessing, prosperity and joy over their marriage. 

     Thank you Mom and Dad for loving God, one another and then loving us. You two have taught me more than any marriage study book could. Thank you, thank you, thank you. We appreciate it. 

John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
Ephesians 5:33 "The wife must respect her husband."

1 Corinthians 13:7,8 "Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. "

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, this is awesome:) So happy you documented this. To be cherish young one, to be cherished:) - Stephanie T Wright

Anonymous said...

How incredibly cool and very well written, Brennen. I knew your parents from high school days and they are terrific people--so are you!! Thank you for sharing your heartfelt words.

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! They both are great loving people!! Thanks for sharing!! M Mattingly